Saturday, April 23, 2011

It's time for Innovation



Recently I landed on National Geographic's site featuring an innovating competition titled as Shell Eco-marathon Americas. A team of students from Canada was the winning team who developed a prototype gasoline car which runs 1090 Kilometer-per-liter of fuel (yes! it is 1090 kilometers, no typo here).

The more impressive thing about this team was that they broke their own previous year's performance by 33 km/l.

I appreciate their attitude of setting the new records and breaking the same themselves.

It would be really great to see such innovative competitions happening all around the world and more and more governments pay attention to setup the required infrastructure to boost innovations.

In India, I have seen some competitions happening in engineering colleges however I feel that there is a lot to learn and long to go before we attain a level of maturity in such events.

I am waiting for that day when more and more educational institute focuses on this aspect in collaboration with commerce power houses to drive innovations in the blood of enthusiastic students?

An of course, If I get an opportunity I would love to be on either side of the collaboration ;)

Kudos to the Canadian team for their innovation and I wish them all the best for the next challenge!

No comments: